Skip to content


The server fault ‘SystemError’ had no message.

You have to love error messages that you have no idea what it means.  Call “PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents” for object “propertyCollector” on vCenter Server “*” failed.  I got this error message when I tried to clone over a template to a different vCenter farm.   I have seen this issue before at my previous job, but was unable to fix it.   After doing some searching I was able to find find a few things that lead me to believe it happened when we updated vSphere.   I don’t know exactly when, because I have patched VMware multiple times.   This just seem to have an effect on the templates and changing hardware.  This is how I was able to resolve it..  Verify what datastore the server is located on. Remove the server from inventory and then add it back.   It was that simple.   I will assume that an upgrade had messed with the configuration file for the specific VM I was having issues with.   Maybe a connected CD drive that is no longer connected.   However, this is the only work around I found without having to clone the VM.

Posted in Datastores, vCenter.

Tagged with , , .


2 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. Tom says

    Thank you for this solution. Worked great!

  2. Wes says

    Thanks Tom. Glad it worked for you.

    -Wes



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.